Monday, December 5, 2011

Unit 1…English is for fun :D

         I have to admit it took me a little time to start writing on my English blog, but now that I did start, I won’t stop for anything. Writing on blogs became my hobby since I have been here, in Spain. I truly believe that it is a very useful and also funny way of practicing English.
        I missed the first English course, but I really enjoyed doing it on my own, at home. I found very interesting the first topic: “Engineering Materials”, especially because I study Industrial Economical Engineering. My first task was to do a list of materials I know, which are used in engineering. I was amazed to see that I have already known a lot of materials and so many things about those engineering materials.
        The next two tasks allowed me to use a good strategy for finding information in a table, called “scanning”. The table contains useful information about engineering materials (such as aluminum, copper, brass, ABS, etc.). I had to scan the table two times in order to find some specific materials (for example materials which are soft, ductile, malleable etc. or a metal used to make aircraft, an alloy suitable for castings etc.).
        The fourth task helped me to find definitions for some of the engineering materials (such as an alloy, thermoplastic, mild steel, a conductor, high carbon steel etc.). The listening task gave me the possibility to make a table of my own with some specific materials, their properties and also their uses.
        After I finished with my tasks, I went to the next topic: “Materials technology”. Firstly, I learnt how to describe specific materials, doing different exercises. (in which I had to complete the missing headings using the word in the box or match the materials from 2 columns or ask and answer questions about different materials etc.) In this way I found out really interesting things about “Recyclable Materials” and about “Environment”.
        Secondly, in the “Categorising materials” section I read about the green brakes. I have never heard about the regenerative braking systems, but I truly support the idea of the ecological drive. I believe it is essential to find hi-tech efficiency gains in motor racing, in order to limit the energy loss inherent in traditional braking systems. Exercises in this section helped me to acquire new knowledge of materials used in engineering. (for example composite materials or high-voltage cable)
        Thirdly, the section “specifying and describing properties” gave me the opportunity to read extracts from DuPont’s technical guide to Kevlar. I didn’t know what Kevlar is until I read the article. Now, not only that I know what is it, but I can also say some words about its uses. (Kevlar is an organic fiber used for drive belts, brake pads, tyres, sealing gaskets and even for the bullet-resistant amour of a car)
        The last section of Unit 1 was about “discussing quality issues”. When talking about this, we took in consideration a watch manufacture. Doing the exercises I could find out about the quality issues that watches have. (watches can be water resistant, scratch resistant etc.)
         I finished Unit 1 and I thought: “I am so happy I chose this class! Not only because it is suitable for me, but also because in this way English is really FUNJ!”
       
         

No comments:

Post a Comment