Monday, December 5, 2011


UNIT 2: COMPUTERS… are the CLUE!

        Hello youJ! Computers are the reason I can write this everyday to you. We live in this world of communication, in which “Sky in no longer the limit” due to the use of the Internet on the computers. I was extremely happy to see my second topic, because there are so many things you can say about computers, almost as many as you can do on a computer. (play, listen to music, work, talk to your friends and family and also see them, watch videos and movies, read and learn about any subject you can be interested in etc.)
        Unit 2 allowed me to acknowledge the perfect mix of vocabulary, grammar and listening skills, concerning computers and electrical equipment. By making a list of all the words connected to computers I could review the computer equipment and its uses. I enjoyed doing the questionnaire: “How computer literate are you?” especially because it showed me how important a computer is in my life. I believe that the “Progress Portfolio” was also a great idea, because it made me feel more confident knowing that there are so many things I can do in English. (such as talking about: using computers, people’s past and present ability, imaginary situations or understanding a technical lecture and also having the possibility to ask and answer questions and so many other things)
        The grammar revision was also of great help for me. In this way I could review: the use of articles (a, an, the, no article), phrases we use to talk about our abilities (for instance: manage to do something, be quite/very/really good at doing something, can do something, be able to do something etc.), the second conditional (to talk about imaginary situations), indirect and direct questions (indirect- formal situations and direct- informal situations) etc.
        The section I love the most in this Unit is called: “Future trends”. I am absolutely fascinated with everything that has to do with the new technologies. Nowadays, computer technology has developed a new trend: “smaller and faster”. It seems that computers are really everywhere and as a result the relationship between people and computers will be closer. We already have wearable computers and we have started to use the “gesture interface” based on facial-hand recognition systems. In no time, due to the use of the Internet on the mobile phones, we will be able to work in a “mobile office”. It is a fact that computer chips can be injected under the skin. In the future, the RFID (radio-frequency identification tags) might be used to track or identify people or to store information such as medical data. (Although there are concerns about privacy and personal safety)
 It is incredible what people can do just by using their minds and putting all their hearts in it. Reading all the articles in Unit 2 reminded me how great and important a human being isJ!

No comments:

Post a Comment